Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Our slithering country friends

Jerry over at From On High has a photo and a post most of us in the country can identify with -- big 'ol black snake. I saw one of these "pets" stretched out in my yard while I was mowing last weekend. He was the same size as Jerry's, and wet and shiny. I assume he'd just molted his skin. I had to mow around him until one of the cats came over and bopped him on the head and made him leave.

One of my friend's wives will actually stop mowing, pick one of these things up, and move it out of her way. We know another couple that lives with several in their attic, though they occasionally come down into the living quarters. They are real good at keeping the mice under control.

Farm living is the life for me. Keep Manhattan, just gimme that countryside.